Monday, April 11, 2011

Afghanistan

Time for an update, of course it has been awhile again, just plain laziness for the most part. Left Iraq back in Nov 2009 and headed over to Afghanistan and have been here since. What a difference in the two countries from more then just one aspect. To be brutally honest, I think I miss Iraq. (I know, "he is sick"). I guess one gets a high off the chance of getting shot at, IED'ed or having the "Steel Rain" we came to expect daily in the green zone. Plus I just miss all the people there! So what are the biggest differences between the two countries, MOUNTAINS, MOUNTAINS and more MOUNTAINS. There is a total of 2375 named mountains in this place, with the tallest named Hindu Kush at 24,580 ft. I mean when you compare that the entire country is about the same size as Texas, one can figure out for themselves that it is a bitch getting around. The capital is Kabul which is also the largest city with a population of almost 3 million people. Climate and mountain wise it is much like being in Boulder, Colorado. (That of course is where the similarities end). It is without a doubt, a third world country for so many reasons. Just think of Kabul as a city of 3 million with no rules, and I mean no rules, especially when it comes to driving. The term "Insane" is being polite when it comes to driving around in the city. This past year the Afghan government instituted "Anti Pollution" day which was suppose to limit the amount of drivers in the city, NOT! It did however give all governmental offices off on Thursday's. This was of course, was suppose to only be in effect till the end of March, which this past week they have decided to leave it in place the rest of the year. Yet another case of “Big Government taking care of themselves and not the normal citizens”. These Afghans for the most part are a proud group, loyal to their tribes and families, in a Muslim way. In Afghanistan it is all about the family, they live together, eat together and the children mostly stay within the family circle. It is not until they are of school age that they actually get out amongst the "neighbors". I do have to say that family takes care of there own in every thing. I have many Afghan friends that have told me that this is the most important thing in the Afghan way of life. “Taking care of one's family”. It is very hard to understand the Afghan way of life, but in reality it is what we had back in the old days. Taking care of family! We employ numerous Afghan's who have lost a member of the family, once this happens; it is the responsibility of the eldest son to care for the family. Strange as it may seem, all income goes to the eldest son, who pays all food bills and other related costs. It does not matter what your status is, this is the rule here. Well established hierarchy. It amazes me daily as to how one can smile when they have so little, differently something we take for granted in the states. They are for sure not a wealthy society as we know it back home. The simple things that we are so accustomed back home is a rarity here in Afghanistan. Just as in Iraq, there are only two classes, the rich and the poor. (More poor than rich, sad to say) When I first arrived in Kabul, I was amazed of the lack of simple things, like traffic control, road construction, sewage (underground) and sense of basic support from government. One would think after years of international support things in Kabul would meet the basic standards of life support. This is not the case in Kabul. I have asked numerous people why Kabul is in such dire straits, and was told by many that President Karzai does not want to make Kabul look good as it could affect international monies required to get the country in the 21st century. How flipping sad! Although the amount of public begging in the city limits is like many other countries, once you get to the smaller police districts the level of poverty becomes very apparent. It disgusts me to see how many children are forced to be on the streets begging for money to maintain some income for families. In the states this would be Major headlines; sadly the only thing that is reported by the media is the war effort, not the rebuilding effort, (Funny, reminds me of another country we spent millions of dollars in) where a good portion of our tax dollars are spent. I think most people in the states would be appalled by the lack of basic services provided to the people of Afghanistan. What a shame... On the family front, all is well and things are good. Rebecca finally has some time to herself, as both Meghan and Brendan are in school. I have to say that Rebecca is with out a doubt one of the strongest persons that I know, I wish I had her focus and commitment. She is the glue that holds our family together and I can truthfully say has never bitched. She continues to support my willingness to work in conflict areas, much to some of my friend’s disagreement, wishing that I get my ass back in the states and get an honest job. Fingers crossed I get to go home for a short visit in the coming week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear from you. Thanks for updating your blog. It goes without saying I wish you were in the states with a "safe" job, as I know any job you take on is an honest job.

Thanks also for the insight into the culture and people of Afganistan. It is this type of communication that matters more than that from the tainted and agended news media. Too bad they forgot the foundations of journalism. Let us not forget the foundations of our chosen career fields.

Watch your ass out there.

Mark