Friday, September 07, 2007

Kurdistan (Northern Iraq)

Qalah Of Erbil

Hi All,


I had a chance to visit with Luis (Navy Gunner) up in Kurdistan for a couple of days working on some things. Luis and I have been together since I first arrived in Iraq, and we have become very close friends (Brothers). You have people in your life that you can always count on, and over here, you pick them very carefully, as your life may depend on it! I can always without thinking, know he has my back covered.


It was great to get the chance to visit his AO, and once the work was done, we got to spend a couple of hours playing tourist. Kinda of weird being able to walk around without the body armor and guns, but our security team was close by, watching out for us.


We visited the Citadel, which is located in the city of Erbil. This place is amazing, dates back to 7000BC and is considered one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in the world. There is 3,000 people living there, 20% of them direct descendants from the original inhabitants, mostly poor people living in 620 dwellings made from brick, mud and wood.
The Citadel towers above the center of Eril (28-32 meters) surrounded by local shops and restaurants. You can even purchase items like Aimpoint, Trijicon and EOTech scopes and various other must have items for your weapons. (and a whole lot cheaper, sorry Bec, I dropped $300 on a new Aimpoint for my M4).
Well that's it for the update, I am off to Habbaniyah and Ramadi in the next couple of days - Then... Home for a couple of months.
See you all soon,
Love Chris

No comments: