Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Springtime In Ramadi

Spring time in Western Iraq can be somewhat challenging to say the least. We are in day four of a dust storm. This being the second one since I returned back from holiday. It just amazes me, how this dust gets into everything. Your room, office and vehicle, it doesn't matter what you do, if there is an opening it comes in. But in the end, you become accustomed to it, I walked into the DEFAC (Dining Facility) yesterday and had to chuckle, as most were sitting in a haze of dust, eating like they were stateside in a restaurant not paying much attention to something that would chase most of us indoors and the local health department calling an emergency. I actually sat there, eating and watching dust accumulate on my plate. By the time I was done you could write your name in the mud. OH WELL

As the title in this post says - I am in a town called Ramadi, which is considered the capital of Al Anbar province in the southwest area of the "Sunni Triangle". This is the area that was the beginning of the end for Al Qaeda in western Iraq. In 2006, Al Qaeda murdered a sheikh and left his body in such a way that it was not discovered for several days, violating Arab custom. In the Muslim faith, both embalming and cremation are forbidden and the upmost respect to the dead is given. Al Qaeda purposely did this in an attempt to put fear in the people, but backfired on them, in fact this caused tribal leaders to band together, forming the Al Anbar Awakening, later referred to as the "Awakening Council". The Awakening had the backing of the coalition forces, fighting alone and side by side with the coalition, driving Al Qaeda out of the province. A great success story!

Rest and Relaxation -

Well, I have to say it was great going home as always. Seeing Rebecca and the kids is something I truly do cherish. Wish I could have seen Shelby, but she is busy and living in Portland. Both Meghan and Brendan are getting so big, and our course, Rebecca made my time at home as enjoyable as possible. I really wish she had some say with the guy upstairs on the weather though, as it wasn't the best weather for outdoor activities, but I did get a chance to get a couple of games of golf in with the boys.

Chris

No comments: